ESOS – Will you be compliant?
The 5th December 2019 ESOS date is fast approaching! Is your business ESOS Compliant?
It’s hard to believe that we are already halfway through 2019.
There have been a few changes this year with legislation and strengthen intentions around climate action at all levels of industry. For example, we’ve had councils make Climate Emergency declarations, the London Toxicity Charge (T-Charge) has been replaced by the upgraded Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) and organisations are looking towards Net Zero Carbon buildings and Carbon Neutrality by 2030.
Support for Businesses
At Acclaro we have been supporting our clients on their Environmental Sustainability and Energy Efficiency journeys. At present one of our main focus areas is ESOS. The UK’s opportunity for non-SMEs to recognise and act on energy efficiency improvements. Energy efficiency has been recognised as the premier cost-effective way to concurrently improve energy security, reduce energy costs, reduce carbon emissions, contribute to the overall energy and climate goals and enhance competitiveness.
6 months until the ESOS Phase 2 Deadline!
If you have not already made arrangements for compliance, it’s time to get in touch. Several organisations have started their compliance preparations and audits. But we already foresee a bottleneck as with 2015. So, don’t leave yours to last minute. Act now and make sure you are ESOS Compliant.
To get you started, here’s a list of what you need to do and how we can help.
1. Assess the total 12-month energy use across the organisation.
- Remember to include at least your energy consumption for December 2018. This ensures you meet one criterion of compliance.
- Assess all buildings, UK transport related to your business (company cars / expensed car travel etc), industrial processes.
2. Identify areas and sites of significant energy use.
- This should be your largest energy consuming assets from the above list.
3. Choose your route to compliance most suitable to business goals.
- What are your business goals/intentions?
- Are any changes on the horizon?
- Do you have specific targets or challenges?
4. Appoint your ESOS Lead Assessor, who is qualified to review your compliance route and reports.
5. Evidence opportunity for energy efficient measures in areas or sites of significant energy use and have the reports signed by the ESOS Lead Assessor and company Director.
6. Notify compliance to the administrator.
- These are different for England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Our experienced team has supported several organisations during phase 1 and have already started phase 2 compliance for our clients. We provide all the support you need from start to finish and beyond compliance.
Examples of our team’s experience with project complexity include:
- Meeting compact schedules required during the intense phase 1 compliance deadline.
- Effective audit sampling strategies to meet compliance and business requirements.
- Successfully managing late compliance for organisations resulting in no financial penalties.
- Successfully supporting on the Environmental Agency’s post-ESOS phase 1 audit checks.
- Highlighting and implementing improved processes for phase 2 compliance.
- Conducting Office, Theatre, Shopping Centre and Research Laboratory audits.
What about my multinational organisation?
Through us, you have access to knowledge and experience on the transposed regulation in the 28 EU countries. We can help you navigate the complex challenge of meeting all variations of requirements of the energy audit obligation.
Our team is up-to-date with the status of the directive across Europe and are equipped to support full compliance and carry out audits.
If you would like to understand these points further or would like advice or support with Article 8 of the EU Energy Efficiency Directive 2012/27/EU, please contact me on +44 1183 273519 or email Erica Hall
In the meantime, have a look at our Making Policy Clear – EED Article 8 article.
Acclaro Advisory provides Comprehensive information in One Location.
You can learn more about the Acclaro Energy Programme which helps you adapt and address responsibilities of energy efficiency as a business.